Monday, February 24, 2014

Organizing Food: Part 2

Organizing FoodLast week, I discussed my ranch dressing emergency and how it lead me to clean out, sort and re-organize my "pantry". I took all the food out of the food cabinet in the kitchen, sorted it and put most of it back. A few things got moved to the office pantry.

Today I'm going to share the second half of my food organization journey. I took this:



And turned it into this:



Basically, it took me about 20 minutes max to take everything off the shelves (except the cereal stash on the top) and re-organize it, putting like with like. This eliminated the need for food to be on the floor and on the bottom shelf.

I turned the bottom shelf into storage for dishwasher detergent and other cleaning supplies. My closet feels much more roomy now and part of this is due to re-organization but it is also due to one of my 2014 goals to eat away at my food stash. This project also helped me to keep use by dates in mind and I promptly used up a few things from these shelves after this project was done so they wouldn't become "expired" or bad.

In just a few short minutes, I changed the entire look and feel of the office closet and made it easier on myself to find things in the process. Now, to do this to the rest of the house ;)

Note: Tomorrow I will be disclosing the results from my first weekend away since I began my journey to become debt and clutter free!

4 Comments:

At March 10, 2014 at 10:05 AM , Anonymous Davonne Parks said...

Found you from A Slob Comes Clean. I worked on organizing my food last week and plan to organize my spices soon. Nice debt chart on the right side-bar as well :)

 
At March 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM , Blogger shoeaholicnomore said...

Davonne,

I hope you enjoed the post and stick around to read some more. Good for you for working on your food and I hope you get your spices done as well! :) Thanks for your support.

 
At March 10, 2014 at 11:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a "tip" that I've been doing for years. With a Sharpie pen, mark the month and year on the front label of your canned goods of the expiration date. Makes it a lot easier when putting your groceries away for rotation and to see which one to use first for consumption.

 
At March 11, 2014 at 7:49 AM , Blogger shoeaholicnomore said...

Great tip! I know I've read about that before, but I've just never practiced it. Thanks for the reminder :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home