Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Trying to Save my Computer

Saving My ComputerLast weekend, while I finished up gathering my tax info and compiling information on my computer, I started going through folders and folders of documents.

My computer hasn't been working so well lately, and as you all know I didn't budget for a new computer right now! I'm really hoping to revive mine without it costing much. My computer is from 2009 and I've already bought a new battery, a new charger, and a whole new front piece below the keyboard. I've paid as much in repairs on this one as a new one would cost, but granted these things all broke at different times so at the time it was cheaper to fix than buy a new one...

Anyhow, I went through years and years of pictures, some transferred from my computer before this laptop, and deleted ones that aren't relevant, are bad shots, blurry, etc. It was kind of fun to look back at those old photos.

I also went through folder after folder of old school assignments. I had kept every single computer assignment from every class from high school, community college, university and all my stories from working at the paper. That's a ton of files! I mostly purged high school and community college papers, only keeping those that seemed important or especially great, of which there weren't many. I still have yet to go through my university files and my stories, mostly because there are some of those that are still sitting in my email inbox and aren't even saved on my hard drive.

After about 1.5 hours of work, I emptied the recycle bin on my computer, ridding myself of over 700 pieces of digital clutter. While this doesn't make a difference in the appearance of my surroundings, it will make it easier to find things on my computer and hopefully it freed up some much needed memory. Now to get through the rest of the files of papers and tackle my music before I take it to my computer whiz friend and hopefully get it fixed up without too much cost...

2 Comments:

At February 12, 2014 at 2:16 PM , Anonymous Hayley @ A Disease Called Debt said...

Eeek - well done on decluttering your computer, that's something I definitely need to have a go at. I hope you can get it fixed without any problems. If not, maybe you could get a second hand one that works well on eBay?

 
At February 12, 2014 at 3:01 PM , Blogger shoeaholicnomore said...

A second hand computer is something I have never considered. How would one go about doing that in a way that ensures you are getting something good?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home