Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Do it Now! Do It Now!

Do it NowLast week, I talked about how doing just a little bit everyday, like 10-15 worth of household chores, is enough to keep up with my house. Now, I obviously have to rotate which chores I do as I can't do laundry, dishes, and cleaning in 15 minutes. But by rotating these fairly equally each day I can maintain my house.

Today, I am going to expand on that idea. Someone once told me if it takes less than a minute, do it now! It is easier to do it now than to put it off until tomorrow when you will have to spend twice as long accomplishing the same task because now there's two days worth of whatever it is.

Periodically, I remind myself out loud even by saying (ok shouting) "DO IT NOW! DO IT NOW!" I use this theory with picking up my clothes after I change for the evening, putting my shoes away in their proper place or cubby and putting away my dishes after I've finished eating. This can probably be applied to the majority of the mundane, ordinary, everyday tasks we have to complete. How many of these things take more than 1-2 minutes? Not many that I can think of, so why do I put them off for tomorrow? Yes, I may be tired, but it doesn't take that much more effort to put my clothes in the hamper rather than leaving them in a heap and then having to trip over them or purposely walk around them later.

I'm not saying I'm perfect. I still have those days when I make excuses and don't DO IT NOW! But, for the most part I am following this advice because I like how my bedroom looks without clothes strewn about the floor and without shoes to trip over in the night. I like how my kitchen sink looks without dishes constantly waiting to be washed or loaded in the dishwasher. I am just taking this one day at a time and trying to make it a habit I can maintain rather than rushing through my decluttering goal and feeling overwhelmed by the seemingly big amount of work and maintenance to keep it up in the whole house. I will get there eventually, but for now it is enough to make slow progress and then maintain it.

2 Comments:

At February 12, 2014 at 7:27 AM , Anonymous Tabitha said...

I can just imagine myself shouting "Do it Now!" and my children looking at me like I've just lost it, lol. That made me laugh. Although, that less than a minute trick rarely works for me. I've got 4 children now and if I start carrying a glass to the sink, I'm likely to be stopped twice on the way--one to answer a question and one to walk over to another part of the house to check on what that noise was. Yeah, it takes me 10 minutes to put a glass away. So, I have to wait until opportune times and get several knocked out at once. -Tabitha

 
At February 12, 2014 at 9:45 AM , Blogger shoeaholicnomore said...

Tabitha,

I would said I understand, but I don't really. I don't have kids so I don't have their distractions or messes to clean up after. I only have myself, ok and my beloved pets (which are quite a lot like children actually), to blame for messes and distractions. And, there's no one to look at me like I'm crazy when I should "DO IT NOW!" at myself. LOL! I know this won't work for everyone, but it works for me, for now anyhow :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home