Monday, January 13, 2014

Use it Up

Use it UpOne my favorite de-cluttering, simplifying blogs is 365 Less Things. I have asked the author, Colleen permission to link to her first post about her Use It Up challenge which was in 2010. I just found her blog a couple months ago, but I did read it from the beginning to current. I loved the idea behind this challenge and therefore, I am issuing it to myself and any of you who'd like to try it too. Here are the specifications from Colleen:

"THE CHALLENGE
Find at least 5 consumable items in your home that have been lingering on a shelf somewhere. My definition of consumable is something that can be depleted or worn out by use. Concentrate on choosing these items over similar items you prefer to use until they are all used up and no longer cluttering up your home.
Possible reasons for lingering
  • didn’t live up to expectation
  • for some reason you just stopped using it
  • just have so many of a similar item to choose from
  • bought a similar item you like better
  • Something from a pass-time you don’t do so much any more
Items examples that might come under the term consumable…
  • Bottle of perfume
  • Craft supply item
  • Cleaning product
  • Toiletries product (Shampoo, body wash, moisturiser etc)
  • Food item
  • Product samples"
I am excited to try this one out. I know I have a lot of consumable things that I am not using to their full potential and instead I just end up buying more, which is ridiculous. It costs me money and its hard on the environment, plus it just makes more stuff to store in my house! I am thinking of having a check-in on this challenge in 2 weeks on Jan 27th and a final review of it in 4 weeks on  Feb 10th.

I think I'm going to mostly focus on items in my bathroom: mouthwash, soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion specifically. Please let me know if you are taking part and what you have decided to use up!

3 Comments:

At February 8, 2014 at 11:05 AM , Blogger The Mommy said...

I just recently found your blog and am really enjoying it. I am beginning similar lifestyle changes around our home also, and find your posts encouraging. The use it up challenge is something we are trying to employ on a regular basis, be it salad dressing, lotion, conditioner, etc. I think sometimes the excitement of the new takes over and leaves the older item waiting! Ha

Great job! Just keep moving forward!

T'Ann Love

 
At February 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM , Blogger shoeaholicnomore said...

T'Ann,

I'm glad to know you are finding my blog encouraging. I never thought I'd hear that, especially since I'm still so new in this process. I really appreciate it and hope you continue reading. Also hope you are us inf success with your new changes.

 
At February 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM , Blogger shoeaholicnomore said...

Seeing*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home