Monday, March 24, 2014

What Do You Want to be When You Grow Up?

When You Grow UpWhat you want to be when you grow up is a question commonly asked during your early childhood years, but as you get older people stop asking it.

In high school they instead ask where you're going to college. Then in college they ask what you're majoring in. Nearing college graduation, they ask what jobs you found,  interviewed for and were offered. It's true that it can be hard to find a job in your field with decent pay, let alone your dream job or something you are passionate about.

But, why should you stop considering what you want to be after early childhood? Children's dreams of the future, while sometimes unrealistic, are amazing! When do we lose the ability to dream big dreams? How much more of an impact could we make on the world if we held on to the big dreams of what we want to be?

It is assumed that we have life figured out after college. After all we, well most of us :), are adults by that point, so we are now "grown up".

I'd like to challenge that. I've been out of college for nearly 2 years now, and while I am an adult running my own household and paying my own bills, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

As I mentioned last week, I know I don't want to be in my current job forever because it is not something I'm passionate about. But, for now I will be keeping my job and I will try to be the best I can be.

Lyle at The Joy of Simple wrote a post, 10 Ways to Make Your 9 to 5 Work Day A Little Better Until You Find Your Way, where he makes several recommendations, including one that you "Start a “leave your job” fund". I think this is great idea. With my current budget being so tight, I can't afford to start another savings goal right now, at least not until my EF is fully-funded at $1,000. But his idea is the gist of what I want to do. Plus, finding my passion in life is the main reason why I am working to get out of debt.

I no longer want to find myself "Working for the Weekends". I know I'd rather be "Living to Work" and loving my job rather than "Working to Live".

Do you know what you want to be when you "grow up"? Have you already achieved it?

Are you working for the weekends? Do you live to work or work to live?

Note: Did you see my guest post over at Girl Meets Debt on Friday? I was also mentioned the same day by Hayley at Disease Called Debt in her weekly blog round-up. Thanks ladies! :) The two actions combined made for a lot of blog traffic on Friday and over the weekend. I'm not sure I was fully prepared for how big of an increase there would be. It was great!

Another Note: If you are interested in guest-posting at Shoeaholicnomore, email me at shoeaholicnomore[at]gmail[dot]com!

2 Comments:

At March 25, 2014 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Amanda S said...

I'm always envious of those who have already found their calling and enjoy doing their job every minute. I'm still looking for a job that is in my field, which is hopefully something I will enjoy. It's tough, but it's nice knowing that we still have quite a few years to make it all happen.

 
At March 25, 2014 at 9:46 AM , Blogger shoeaholicnomore said...

Amanda,

I'm also envious of people who seem to have found their life's passion/calling. I would love to enjoy my job every minute of the day and I'd love to find something I'm excited to get up and go to work doing everyday.
I need to find myself and take time to figure myself out before getting out of my current job as I need the pay :)
I will be excited to have the freedom to pursue my passions once my debt load is gone, or at least significantly lessened.
You're right, at least we have time to figure it out!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home