Friday, February 28, 2014

Why am I Here?

Why Am I HereThis post is somewhat related to my previous post on my Scheduling Issues.

Melanie from Dear Debt gave her perspective on busy-ness with this post: Being Busy Isn't the Same as Being Productive.

Melanie really hit the nail on the head as far as expressing how I feel and how I've felt pretty much my whole life with this: "I feel uncomfortable if I am not busy. I wonder who I am, what does my life mean?"

I have always been a busy person. In high school, I joined lots and lots of clubs and activities. Not only did I join, but in my senior year I was president or captain of every single activity I was in. I also always had a plan of where I was going to go to college, what I was going to study, and ultimately what career I wanted to seek. Of course, my plans changed over time, but the point is, I always had plans.

In college I took way more hours every semester than required, I was able to graduate in 3 years because of this, plus I worked 30+ hours a week and wrote for the paper. I also had big plans for what I was going to do after graduation and "after things calmed down".

Now that I'm done with school, I'm still busy. But, I currently have no "life plans". I've bought a house. I have a job. I go to work, go to my activities, and go home. I can't stand not being busy, but even though I am busy I have lately been questioning what does my life mean? Is there really nothing else to look forward to after this? I have always been one to be looking forward, but now I'm not sure what to look forward to. Of course, I do have goals: some of which I shared with you in December and I do look forward to becoming debt-free of course, but I don't feel like that is an answer to life's biggest question:

Why am I Here?

2 Comments:

At March 15, 2014 at 9:50 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I so related to this post! I was in your exact shoes 20 years ago. I was president of student council in high school. Knew exactly what I wanted to major in in college, graduated in three years(working 20 hrs per week). Graduated professional school, married, had two kids, etc. It's the "barrenness of business". I guess my suggestion would be to try to define what serenity means for you and then try to achieve it on a regular basis. You'll get there, you're already on your way.

 
At March 17, 2014 at 8:59 AM , Blogger shoeaholicnomore said...

Thanks for the encouragement. It's great to hear from others like me. I graduated in 3 years from my 4 year degree program while working at least 35 hrs/week, so I feel you! HAHA :) Thanks for the comment and the encouragement.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home