Wednesday, May 14, 2014

No Showers, But Frugal Flowers

May Flowers|Planting|Gardening|Drought|FrugalWhere I live we've been in a drought pretty much constantly for the past two or three years, which is really hard our my community as it is ag-based. But these facts didn't stop me from planting some flowers.

 I planted these like a week and half ago or so (don't judge, I kept forgetting to take pictures!) and don't worry readers, I didn't have to pay for these flowers out of pocket, making them a very frugal "purchase".



For Administrative Professional's Day (aka Secretary Day) my office gave me a gift certificate to a local greenhouse where I got all of these pretty flowers. Imagine my surprise when I got to the checkout counter and I was under my certificate by $1.75 and they gave me cash back!
 

Now that's what I'm talking about :)

Did you plant any flowers or a garden this year?

Note: If you are interested in guest-posting at Shoeaholicnomore, email me at shoeaholicnomore[at]gmail[dot]com!

8 Comments:

At May 14, 2014 at 8:40 AM , Anonymous E.M. said...

Those are pretty! That's awesome your co-workers gave you a gift card, too. I don't have anywhere to plant anything, but I did let my mom choose a plant she liked and got it for her for Mother's Day. She's been working on making her front yard look a bit more colorful.

 
At May 14, 2014 at 8:44 AM , Blogger shoeaholicnomore said...

Thanks EM! I was pretty excited about getting the giftcard too. I really like to plant some flowers each year, but I was going to for-go it this year to save on the cost, but because of the giftcard I got to do it :)

 
At May 14, 2014 at 9:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love them! This is my first summer in a house where I am responsible for the gardening and I have no idea where to start! Here's hoping I can steal some plants from my mother/boyfriend's mom and then get some pretty annuals for color :) I can see it getting expensive if I were to buy everything new...I'm not sure why its saying I'm anonymous...it's Downstairs and In Debt

 
At May 14, 2014 at 9:53 AM , Blogger shoeaholicnomore said...

Weird that is shows on your screen as anonymous, it shows correctly on mine. Oh well!

Yes, plants can get really expensive. When I bought my house it had no yard what-so-ever. I'm having to try and grow grass from scratch and do landscaping a little at a time along with other necessary house repairs and such. It is a work in progress and is going to take some time, especially now that I'm trying to get out of debt and build savings...

 
At May 14, 2014 at 10:44 AM , Blogger Michelle said...

Pretty! And that's awesome that they were free! :)

 
At May 14, 2014 at 10:46 AM , Blogger shoeaholicnomore said...

Thanks Michelle! I was more than a little excited about the FREE price tag too :)

 
At May 14, 2014 at 1:01 PM , Anonymous Hayley @ A Disease Called Debt said...

Lovely! And what a bargain too. Plants and flowers can be so expensive. I saved on plants this year by asking my family if they had any going spare, which they did!

 
At May 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM , Blogger shoeaholicnomore said...

That's great Hayley! I'm glad you were able to get some from your family :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home